Afghan journalist killed, 9 injured in Kabul suicide attack09 Jan, 2018
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) joins its affiliate the Afghan Independent Journalists’ Association (AIJA) in condemning the suicide attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, on December 28, 2017 that killed a journalist and injured nine other colleagues. The IFJ demands swift action from Afghan authorities to arrest and punish the perpetrators.
Said Mehdi Hosaini, a journalist working for Afghan Voice News Agency, was killed in the suicide bomb attack which took place at the Tebyan Culture Center building in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, where the news agency is based.
The attacker targeted a students’ meeting which had been organised to mark the 38th anniversary of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The first blast was followed by two other blasts that targeted security officials and journalists gathering outside the building.
Nine other journalists and media staff, including some working for Shamshad TV, were injured in the attacks. The suicide attack killed 40 people and injured 80 others in total. The so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) claimed responsibility for it.
AIJA President Samandar Khan said: “The AIJA strongly condemns the attack and expresses serious concerns over the growing targeted attacks against journalists by the ISIS. Afghanistan has lost five media staff in attacks committed by ISIS in 2017.”
According to the IFJ 2017 Killed List, Hosaini was the 12th journalist killed in Afghanistan last year.
IFJ President Philippe Leruth said: “The IFJ condemns the attack that killed a journalist and injured many others in Kabul. Afghanistan is becoming an increasingly dangerous country for journalists despite repeated commitment by the Afghan government to improve the situation. The IFJ thus urges the authorities to adopt a concrete action plan for the protection of journalists and independent media.”